Monday, February 6, 2017

Movie Night

When I was writing those two marvelous screenplays, I had a fantasy of being on a movie set watching my creation being shot by a big time director and big name actors and actresses. I'd collaborate with them, explain my vision, eat at craft services, and secretly pine for a Best Original Screenplay Oscar (listen, I know that writers on set are as common as flying cars, but I felt like I would be the exception). As it turns out part of my wish came true, but not as I expected.

A few years ago, my daughter Remi was cast in a Hollywood backed movie shooting here in Austin. It was a very small part, but she had a few lines and two scenes with the lead actress. Remi was seventeen at the time of shooting, so I handled all of the contract negotiations (THEM: We want Remi to be in our film and we're paying $x, ME: Okay), and the discussions with the casting director and wardrobe and production assistants. An Oscar nominated director was helming the project, and to be honest, I was totally geeking out over meeting him (because Remi was a minor I had to be onset). What would I say to him, should I tell him how amazing I think he is, maybe I could slip him my screenplay, would he call security on me? No, I'll just play it cool (I shook hands with him and mustered a smile. He probably thought I was deranged because I remained mesmerized by him the entire night). As a side note, Jeannine drove Remi to her 2nd audition and could have met the director as well (she likes him, too) but waited in the car because we all thought this was a mere formality and no one of importance (besides Remi) would be there.

On the day of shooting, just before lunch, Remi and I arrived at base camp at a church parking lot in south Austin (the shooting location was at a private residence). She was shown to her trailer, which was the size of a small walk-in closet (OMG I'm on a movie set and my daughter has a trailer with her character's name on the door!!!) We filled out some remaining paperwork and then Remi and I were whisked off to the hair and makeup trailer where she was dolled up.




The makeup artist told us the last movie she had worked on had an unpleasant atmosphere because the director (also a big time actor) was a real pain in the ass. But, she said, on this movie set everyone seems happy and eager to make a fantastic film. We were then taken to a big hall where we had lunch with the cast and crew. Remi was so nervous...I was having a blast!!! She picked at her food as I threatened to introduce myself to one of my favorite character actors who shot his scenes earlier in the day (he's been in every one of this director's movies and he won a supporting Oscar for another movie that year).

Anyway, after lunch (about 3 hours later; when they say you wait around a lot on movie sets, they're telling you the truth) we headed to the shooting location. The temperature dropped into the 30's, which made things a little uncomfortable. One of the scenes had the lead actress riding a bike around the block while the camera truck followed her. She was near exhaustion when they finished and they waited for her to recover (she's the same age as Remi and a real pro) before moving on to the next scene, which involved Remi and the lead actress talking at the front door. Big propane heaters were propped up on the front lawn around the crew to keep us warm. I say we because I was sitting right behind the big time director and his monitors (are you kidding me? I get to watch him work up close?). His assistant brought me a director's chair to sit in (yes, I was in nirvana, regardless of the cold).

At that moment I realized my fantasy had come true. But, honestly, better than I envisioned because this wasn't about me anymore, it was about Remi. As a father I was bursting with happiness for her. She was realizing a dream she had with this little part in a major film and, hopefully, the beginning of a career. Unfortunately, her scene was cut from the movie, and the director was kind enough to personally let Remi know why. His stock went way up in my book, he's truly a great guy. The good news is, because of this experience, Remi landed an agent and has shot a couple of local commercials, and she's also eligible for a SAG card.

I'm proud of all four of our daughters and I hope they all have the chance to live their dreams. Jeannine and I wish for them to be excited and passionate about their chosen endeavors and to not give up when they come up against a wall. My dream came about differently than I envisioned, but I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment